02 February 2011

Natural Man - Leading by Example

Upper Marlboro, Maryland.  Grandmaster Collins S. Johnson, with over 40 years in the martial arts, is a world certified black belt in Korean, Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, Okinawan Weapons, Forms and Self Defense and founded the Johnson Martial Arts Center in 1980.  Grandmaster Johnson was inducted into the U.S.A. Martial Arts Hall of Fame and Grandmaster Y. K. Kim's Martial Art World Hall of Fame. 
Grandmaster Johnson enjoys optimal health; fine physical condition; and displays strength, flexibility and agility on a daily basis, leading his family, peers and clients by example.  I am pleased to share his knowledge and wisdom.
Grandmaster Johnson, you are always on the go with your work, family and support in the community.  How do you manage to maintain your health and fitness level with your schedule?
Close adherence to naturopathic intake and the latest scientific information for enhancing the physiological, emotional and mental.  I take 15 or 20 minute naps at least once within a 24-hour period and sleep at night about 6 to 7 hours.  I hardly sleep in, even when I could.  I get up at 6:30 am and the naps do it for me.  I have people training all day and night, so those naps make a difference for me.
How have you helped clients with conditions caused by diet and lack of activity?
I bring them the most up to date scientific information primarily on the naturopathic side, because I try to stay away from the pharmaceuticals as much as I can.  Also, a variety of choices for physical activity such as laps swimming for an hour; biking; weight training and any other aerobic type of activity that they can be involved in, that they like.  I steer them away from all sugars, starches, processed foods and more towards fruits, vegetables and some meats.
Where does your family shop for food?  What is your favorite food or dish?  How often do you indulge?  We shop at BJs, Giant, Whole Foods, and Mom’s Organic Market.  Mostly vegetables and fruits of all kinds; oranges, strawberries, and blueberries.  We rotate around those religiously.  We eat the berries, grapes, bananas, pears, and apples.  I love cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon; those are my top choices.  We also buy all the green vegetables and carrots.  My favorites:  salmon is number one.  I really like scrambled eggs and the fish category:  perch, scrod, and tilapia.  I used to like tuna fish, but with all the mercury, not much anymore.  For meat, pretty much ground turkey and turkey meat products because it is light on the system.  I eat fish at least three times a week, salmon twice.
What is your frustration level with lack of fitness in our community?  What words of encouragement can you offer?  The obvious is ignoring the information that is so publicized regarding negative intake.  People are still rolling up to things that are harmful.  It is the quality of life.  If you could recondition people on the intake, you could get results sooner and they would probably be a lot happier.  The doctors might not be so happy, but it would be so much better than kids weighing 190 pounds at 10 years old.  I have never seen so many morbidly obese people in my life than recently.
For me, the key is to start slowly; every week have only one day to indulge and the rest of the week, cut back on the negative intake: processed foods and sugar.  No one needs to eat anything with high fructose corn syrup and dehydrogenated oils.  Diabetes is so prevalent because of 150 pounds of sugar yearly intake versus 30 pounds years ago.  Also, people gulping food instead of chewing it; chomp, chomp, chomp, gulp.  We need to masticate the food in order to keep our organs from working so hard in digestion.  We are overworking the pancreas.  Also, the quantity, we eat too much.
Age is a number and not an excuse.  You have trained clients from ages 2 to deep in the 70’s.  What has been your greatest age range challenge and why?
I would have to say those in the 40-50 age bracket because they are so set in what they want to do.  They find it difficult to change their ways relative to intake.  They want the results, but don’t want to change. 
What are some of the things you choose not do in order to maintain vitality? 
I don’t smoke or drink alcohol, hard liquor or beer, but will have a glass of red wine on occasion a few times a week, because it has so much more benefit for the body.  No drugs.  I don’t hang out in clubs and if out, I’m home by twelve on special occasions.  I could never get into late night hanging out.  I prefer to be quiet at home relaxing and trying to analyze the previous days or weeks and figure out how things could be better the next few days or weeks.
Black Organic is grateful for your efforts to enhance health education and the well-being of the public.  Thank you, Sir. 
You can find Grandmaster Johnson at:

No comments:

Post a Comment